Friday, April 15, 2011

I love a giraffe named Sophie.

We were having lunch at a chic, new restaurant with some of our more
"granola-ee/hip" friends (you know the type...they proudly drive a Toyota, they shop at Whole Foods and they live on the "hip" side of town) and their one year old baby girl, when I noticed something amazing in the wee one's little baby hand. I am not lying to you when I tell you that sun was shining through the clouds flooding its warmth on this brilliantly wonderful teething toy. I swear I heard angels singing a soft "ahhhhh" in the key of "C" while I couldn't peel my eyes from this masterpiece of a toy. "WHERE did you get that!? Can I touch it!? What iiiiiis it????!" I asked, all the while knowing exactly where it came from --- HEAVEN.

"This," she said, "This is Sophie." It was love at first giraffe sight. For all of you who don't know who Sophie is (Cue shaking of the head...) let me explain, Sophie is a beautiful French giraffe teething toy. She has lovely brown spots and is made of soft, luxurious rubber that oozes quality. She even squeaks when you press on her adorable belly. Am I romanticizing a baby teether? Maybe. But probably not. She is wonderful in every way. She even comes with a box with 6 different languages! She is loved all around the world!

I had to own her and fast. But with a price tag of $22 and super duper logical husband, who only buys things on sale or with a coupon, (usually both) I was out of luck. "Oh, Sophie" I would moan, "how I do wish I had you! For the baby of course!" It was a LIE! I wanted her for myself! To carry in my chic Petunia Picklebottom Diaper bag and whip her out all over town to make all the other mom's in the vacinity envious! But Legend would like her, too.... probably.

A few months later, Sophie arrived at my house in a Babies R Us bag. (Thanks to my dear mom.) I loved her even more than even that first day I saw her, and she was MINE!! I mean...er...Legend's!

Today, Sophie goes everywhere with us. Legend couldn't care less about the rubber, sqeaky, dog-looking toy. But that's ok, one day he'll learn to appreciate her as much as I do. For now, Sophie has a special place in my heart and in my diaper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment